131 not out...

This morning I rose early, well 9ish, dressed and caught the number 14 bus into the centre. I was lucky in my decision as I passed the parade I was looking for otherwise I would have ended up at the wrong monument. I thought that my destination was the monument in the Sea Garden but here we are at the square next to the Municipal Offices.  Why are we here? On this day 131 years ago the reunification of Bulgaria took place and a ceremony is held each year to commemorate the event. I missed this last year after my arrival in Bulgaria but I am now learning how to discover events before they take place. The commemoration ceremony takes place at the monument to the soldiers who died in the Serbo-Bulgarian war. Bulgaria had been divided into Eastern Roumelia, ruled by the Ottoman Empire with partial autonomy in 1878 under the Treaty of Berlin. This was thought unfair and a peaceful protest began.



 Not particularly a tourist attraction, a large group of native Bulgarians were gathered listening to an address by the Patriarch of the Bulgarian Orthodox cathedral here in Varna when I arrived. I came to observe one of the national events of my host country and, indeed, pay my respects too.


Following the address the band of the Bulgarian Naval College struck up as the honour guard presented arms. The participants and spectators knelt in respect as the anthem was played.


The band continued to play as bearers representing military, police and civilian organisations then marched forward to lay their respective wreaths at the monument. Dedications were read out as each party stepped forward.


 Ratings at the memorial remained at attention, saluting as each wreath was presented and laid. Spectators quietly respectful. Several with national flags in their hands.


The last wreath laid, the Honour Guard marched past, "Eyes right". The band followed ending the ceremony leaving the square to the thoughts of the spectators and the music of the fountains in the background.




After coffee and croissants, I returned to my apartment to write this post. I have much to catch up on from the past couple of months. A friend of mine in Plovdiv informed me that she is having a trip to Thailand next month and asked me where I went which reminded me that I have much to add to that blog too. I saw a film about Hemingway the other day, more of that in another post, but he has writers block at the time so I am in good company. Ho-ho.  Tonight I am going to sit in Hall 1 of the Varna Festival and Congress Hall to watch a live broadcast of  "Madam Butterfly" from the Metropolitan Opera, New York. 'Till the next post then...

(I have adopted a new approach with captions on the photographs so if anyone wants an unblemished copy an email request through my profile should do it. Good idea or not let me know.)

Comments

  1. An interesting post, a bit of history unknown to me before

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ruse (Pyce) Winter and Summer...

a "Day at the Forum"

Weihnachtsmarkt to Antique Market...