The Book Club ....


During the last week of May 2012 I was wandering around "Parque Garcia Sanabria" in Santa Cruz, Tenerife when I discovered the week long book fair held there.  Here I am three years later discovering a week long book fair taking place in the pedestrian area of the Bul. Slivnista.  It seemed very appropriate as the news had been filled with the announcement that Finland, or was it Sweden?, was to give up the teaching of writing in schools and, at the same time, the smart phone was overtaking all other devices both as a means of communication and of entertainment.  Despite using my 'Kindle' as a matter of convenience I still love the look, feel and experience of the printed word.




I caught the number 20 autobus down to the city alighting near the fountains I had seen in passing when travelling to my usual stop in front of the cathedral. It is extremely hot and humid here during the summer so the fountains are not only delightful to look at but also offer a cooler atmosphere in which to relax.  Conveniently nearby there is a news/tobacconist's stall where one can purchase a paper or magazine, a packet of cigarettes and a drink of any description before relaxing on a park bench and watch the tourist trying to obtain a daring photograph of their partner without actually falling in.



This particular water feature is between the Archaeological Museum and the Municipal Hall and there is also had a monument in the corner.  I have not been able to translate the inscription but it does mention Primorski and the dates 11-12 November 1885. On this date a Bulgarian counter-offensive at Neshkov peak was among the bloodiest in the war against the Serbs. Perhaps there is a connection?  The Municipality Hall is a huge affair sporting the new European flag and a huge edifice of a sculpture which seems to be the norm in ex-communist states.

I crossed over and realised that I was now approaching the pedestrian area with McDonalds on the corner where I had turned last time.  Advancing I passed through the many stalls admiring the diversity of their wares. As in Tenerife it is amazing to see so many familiar titles which are actually printed in a foreign, to me, language.  It can be doubly deceptive when a title of a book or magazine is actually printed in English but that is all.  I purchase two children's books both similar to those found in English homes and schools teaching the formation of the letters of the alphabet and using pictures and puzzles to enhance the learning too. Only this time the alphabet is Bulgarian and the name for a donkey is definitely not 'donkey'.  I shall post them to my niece and nephew in dew course.

A child's take on the photo exhibition!
Venturing on I found that the photo exhibition had changed and there were now photographs from around the world divided into two sections, people and wildlife.  There were some amazing studies and I was quite surprised that I could relate to many as I had taken similar photographs myself during my travels. Note to myself - must get to South America some time!  Quite by accident I decided to follow the path to the right through the park eventually realising that this would complete the journey I had made earlier when I got as far as the bridge before leaving the park for Bul. Primorski.

As I have previously mentioned the parks and streets offer a fascinating contrast of trees of all types rather than the uniform structure we are accustomed to in England.  Interspersed amongst the trees are sculptures of bronze, stone and concrete which seem to blend in extremely well with their surroundings.  Wandering along I found that the park is full of entertainments.  As I have said it is extremely hot, 90 degrees on Sunday, and the park is some 2km or more long. It contains a fair ground, zoo, planetarium and dolphinarium too. These go side by side with flowers, glades, skateboards, swings and fitness machines. I also discovered a craft fair.  There is much more to explore.

I wandered down to to our favourite watering hole on the sea front for lunch with two friends of mine watching the ships ply their trade as we dined. Varna is also the home port for the Bulgarian fleet and the home of the Naval Academy so often there will be a flotilla of sailing dinghies bobbing up and down in the bay as the sailors learn their craft.  After a late lunch I returned to the book fair where speakers and debates ranged into the late evening.  They all sounded passionate about their subject but, alas, I could not understand a word!

The photographs taken on this walk are included in my photo album  'Exploring Varna' .


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruse (Pyce) Winter and Summer...

a "Day at the Forum"

2019 - Where are we now?