Let it snow...

Those of you with Facebook will have seen the first photographs prompted by a look out of the window yesterday afternoon. Although I had seen a few snowflakes around 10:00 hours I had not noticed that it had continued all morning, the flakes were so fine to be almost invisible. The temperature was about -8 degrees C so I had not ventured out but, thinking about food, I looked out of the window at about 15:00 hours to be greeted with this sight. A white Christmas had arrived slightly late and an early dinner was called for!



Venturing out that evening the snow was now starting to fall in the large flakes I am more familiar with. Dinner at 'Candles' restaurant at the top of the street didn't seem too far to go. Enjoying mulled wine, roast duck with pears and a brandy sauce followed by chocolate cheesecake in pleasant company it was easy to forget about the weather but the snow was building up!  We decided to call it a night at about 19:30 or so as the temperature was dropping at a similar rate to the snow.

Waking this morning it was immediately apparent that it had snowed for most of the night and looked to be about 8-10 cm deep. The outside temperature was about -8 forecast to rise to about +4, they lied, I don't think it got above -5.  Even the birds were shivering. There was quite a bit of activity on the branches of the tree opposite. I discovered that the pastry shop below me had scattered some bread, the birds flocked down, grabbed a morsel and retreated to the branches of the tree. This continued for some 20 minutes and was quite delightful. Should I stay in my nice warm cave or venture out to capture the scene for posterity?

Not quite a taxi!
A cunning plan evolved, on went wool socks, hand made by little old ladies, walking boots, fur hat, gloves and my nice warm coat which I purchased here. Camera, lenses and my scarf into my 'Savanna' backpack (courtesy of my sister in South Africa) which should afford protection should I slide away, it's built for bottles of beer! Rubber bung removed from the end of my walking stick so that it will dig into the snow and I'm off around the corner to the taxi office.  Could they take me to the area of the Zoo park in the Sea Garden or 'Primorski Park' as it has been re-branded. No problem, well there wasn't once he got his taxi out of the snow drift, off we went.

Down bul. Tzar Osvoboditel, not a care in the world despite the snow. I reasoned that, if the taxi dropped me where I asked then I could walk back through the park to the city centre, or was this to be another ill fated 'South Pole' attempt. Cue dramatic music. He pulled off the main road and took me to the bottom of the track. 5.5 leva, cheap at half the price. I've never understood that saying by the way.  I grabbed my gear and set off leaving him to get his taxi back to the road, I hope.  Off down the, largely untrodden, path passing the family in the photo above. Sliding around a bit I got the hang of walking in the deep snow, I only slipped once. This should be a jolly jape.

I don't know if you can get an impression of how deep it was but this might give you some idea. Renting sledges might have been more profitable at this time of year.  I soon discovered that my zoom lenses would be of little use, my hands were too cold to continually change lenses so I stuck to my standard 18-55 mm.  It was a beautiful walk. Cold, crisp, and occasional flurries of snow. Onward, Arthur, onward. This isn't as bad as I thought it might be. I passed several families under 'daddy power' hauling sledges laden with offspring.

Dog walkers seem to venture out in any weather, but several seemed to have a hard time finding their pet once off the lead. Perhaps a winter wonderland appeals to dogs too.  Onward ever onward, fresh white snow covering trees, seats, play areas, tennis courts and, of course the paths.  Some were easy to tread where others had gone before some quite deep as I forged a virgin trail to obtain a photograph I thought would be interesting.  Ah, the monument in the distance.  Not far now.

Reaching the monument I began to wonder about my bearings in this world of white. There seemed to be an awfully long way to go. Gagarin shivered in his spacesuit as I passed him whilst a chappie on a plinth marked 1762 remarked that it was much colder in those days.  The views were breathtaking, we have trodden this way several times but now a whole new landscape is revealed. Paths and greens merge into one vast field of white. Trees, once proud and green, take on a ghostly pallor. I'm glad I decided to take the chance and venture out.

I hope that you enjoy my wanderings in the photo album, eventually I arrived at the sea view where I have stood many times during the summer. The frigid expanse of the Black Sea lay before me devoid of its usual bright colours, the headland grey in the distance. The beach, now white, an edge of gold where the tide had reclaimed its own. It has been explained to me that, contrary to beliefs, Varna does not often have snow due to the influence of the sea. This is now a resort in winter time and I felt privileged to see it.

I met a snow queen as I left the coastal path. A dazzling smile which she attributed to her delight at being able to walk in the snow. We chatted a while. People here are very friendly and helpful. She explained that most 'Varnarians' do not like the winter and especially snow. She went off down a barely trodden route as I headed off in search of a hot coffee. I was starting to feel the effort required to walk through this virgin territory beautiful as it was. So saying I was distracted by further views, a half frozen waterfall surrounded by snow and icicles. Jack Frost in all his glory.  By the way notice the coat and hat she is wearing. I have a similar hat made of rabbit fur, the flaps fold down over my ears to keep them warm.  The coats are waterproof and padded. Zips with button flaps over prevent the wind from penetrating. Plenty of large pockets on the outside for gloves and other necessities. Mine has a detachable hood.

The once lively fairground is silent now. Rides like the trees have their covering of snow.  The boating lake is frozen and covered with a layer of crisp white snow, neither man, nor beast, has ventured there.  I had set out on my walk at about 12:15 and it was now some 14:30, already the light was fading as the snow laden sky dimmed the fast fading sun. I walked through the stillness to the cafe, a brandy and hot chocolate being the order of the day. Replenished I set off for the bus stop, hoping that they were still running. Of course they were, hardy bunch here in Bulgaria.

At the top of the hill I crossed the road to walk back to my apartment. It is fortunate that there are shops and other essentials on every block. There is no "just pop down to the shops" here!  I hope that you enjoy the "Let it snow" photo album . I have commented and located many of the photographs so that you can follow my route. I have also included a couple in 'monochrome' next to the colour as I thought that they gave more 'atmosphere', perhaps I shall pursue this further, what do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruse (Pyce) Winter and Summer...

a "Day at the Forum"

2019 - Where are we now?