Pansies and Palaces

I awoke to a sunny morning and, after orientating myself, made the decision to walk down to the Botanical Gardens. Jordan told me that it only took 5-10 minutes but it seemed further in the car. I was wrong, even stopping to take some photos on the way I was there in no time at all. The entrance to the garden is down ul. Akad. Daki Yordanov which forms a triangular entrance of the main road into Balchik and is pedestrianised during the season. My first priority was breakfast. Turning into the road I discovered that it is crammed with souvenir shops and places to eat all the way down to the main entrance. I picked the "Castle" restaurant mainly because it had gnomes and my sisters like gnomes!


Fortified with coffee, fresh orange and a toasted sandwich I ventured down the street in search of the ticket office. All around me preparations were in hand for the coming season. Two minutes down the road there is a wooden cabin selling tickets for the Botanical garden, 5 Leva with a free map. A short walk on and the entrance to the garden is on the left manned by very hospitable Bulgarians who explained that I also need a ticket for the palace. I explained that I only wanted to see the gardens today. No, you must buy a ticket for the palace too. OK, parting with 8 Leva at another wooden ticket office just outside the entrance.

In I went. What a beautiful sight greets the eye as you walk through the turnstile. There is no sound of passing cars. Tinkling sounds from the many water features and birdsong do not disturb but enhance the tranquillity and beauty of the gardens. The day was warm and sunny with a light breeze, visitors, in the main, appeared to be a few groups of students. With a little patience I had the grounds to myself. As you enter the eye leads in a certain direction so |I followed it. I had plenty of time to explore as I had already decided that today would be a day of flowers.

Ah, it is not all about flowers as I spy a setting with a gazebo in the middle. There is seating throughout the gardens affording different aspects and time to relax and enjoy the view. This is the herb garden. An information board gives the medicinal uses of herbs both in English and Bulgarian. Each herb has its own plaque with Latin and popular name. As you can see the visitor is informed and enlightened wherever you look. Consider that the blooms change with the seasons this is a major organisational task. You can take pleasure in the view or an interest in the plant, either gives a satisfying day out.

Walking around the herb garden leads me to another path where the garden is laid out in a more formal aspect. Here we have planted spring flowers, varieties of tulips and viola (pansies). The full title of the garden is the "University Botanical Garden", it is managed, staffed and researched by the University of Sofia which I visited on my trip there last year. Later roses will bloom followed by an autumn hue. If you follow me around through the photo album you will see that there are not only flowers but shrubs and trees too.

The gardens take many forms, the rock garden blends in at one end of this formal display. It is not only us mere mortals who appreciate the splendour of this terrain. Butterflies and bees abound which is, perhaps, what attracted the cat. After walking around the rockery I decide to head to the far end of the formal garden one of the many paths to explore. This leads past a field of colour as we head in the direction of the cacti house. I see a planting of outdoor cacti before we reach the house itself.

Of course these gardens are full of surprises as my eye catches sight of stained glass panels in a trellised structure. It is a garden church open to the elements but possessing that certain feel nevertheless. On closer inspection the structure reflects the 'icons' of the Orthodox church here in Bulgaria whilst blending in with the surroundings in which it is set. Following the sign to the Cacti House we pass rows of concrete and glass propagators indicating what a mammoth task it is to keep the number of species of plant going throughout the year. The Cacti House is huge with huge display boards to match.

I was particularly interested in these displays as I have several cacti on my window ledges in my apartment. I could seek and identify. I have never seen such an array in all my life, from the cacti of my youth when John Wayne rode the high mesas in the wild west to the colourful flowering varieties similar to my own. Oh yes, don't forget the succulents too. Again the photos I have taken are representational, they do not do justice to the collection. Please browse through them, better still come for a holiday and see for yourself. After wandering around in amazement, I emerged and turned to my left to see where the path would take me.

Past more cacti of course. A contrast as they had the backdrop of  blue sea and sky on one side and green pine trees on the other. I discovered later that this is the 'Pine garden'. I changed direction atracted by the sound of running water and the appearance of a trough. Once perhaps for horses or laundry who knows? Definitely not for drinking. A canal flows from this with rough hewn stone paths to give character. Once again my nose proved true or I would not have discovered this whimsy tucked away in a corner of the garden

I followed the pathway to the end where I came upon the 'Silver Well', though I did not know that at the time. The map remained in my pocket as I was only visiting the gardens today wasn't I?  Approaching up a slight incline I passed through the arch decorated with ornate wrought iron gates, similar on three sides. The well itself is approached by some half dozen steps on the two remaining sides. To the front a postern gate and to the side I observed a building typical of the period when the palace was constructed. Too small to be a palace though. It transpired that this was the 'Villa Arc' (sentry box or gatehouse) through which Queen Maria of Roumania would pass on her way to the palace. Having whetted your appetite I think that the tale will continue in part 2 of "Pansies and Palaces" my friends.


I hope that you will take time to look at the photo album Pansies and Palaces Part 1 as this really shows the gardens in all their glory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruse (Pyce) Winter and Summer...

a "Day at the Forum"

2019 - Where are we now?