It's the little things...

I have lamented many times as to how far behind I am with my blogs and here is the reason why. I set off after lunch to find a sports superstore I had been told about. My brother needs some new hockey skates. I decided to follow my nose from Candles restaurant heading in the general direction of Kaufland, the shop I wanted was some distance beyond. It would appear that I took a wrong fork in the road as I ended up the hill in the northern industrial area of Varna. Resorting to Google Maps on my phone I laid a new course. But here is the rub. I have many events and places to write about but then, looking over a fence I spy this hive of activity...



It is the fascinating, the unusual, the intriguing which absorbs my interest. Three or four men bending and shaping metal rods for the construction industry. Here in Bulgaria as in most southern countries of the EU concrete is king. Concrete has a metal core and these men used various machines to mould the rods into lengths and shapes to be applied all manner of construction from balconies to bridges. How many tourists will have seen this I wonder? As I watched I thought to myself that I could be in the 'Black Country' around Birmingham or under some railway arch in the industrial north of England. I would certainly not be working in the sunshine as these men are.  Further along I came across this reclamation or reconstruction project. The shell of the old factory is used along with reclaimed brick and other materials from the demolition work. Recycling isn't a fad here it is a necessity.

This prompted my post today, I have attended all sorts of events during the summer months here in Varna but it is the little things along the way which distract and entertain or give pause for thought.  Over the past couple of weeks an upright piano has appeared on the steps leading to the Sea Terrace and the sea front. Anyone can play and it is still there today.  I have heard many a tune from the "plonk plonk" to quite accomplished recitals as I have walked past on various occasions.


I had an early dinner a couple of weeks ago before I went to a performance at the Summer Theatre in the Sea Garden or 'Primorski Park' whichever you prefer. I was composing a post for my blog in my head as I walked through the park relating to the music festival when I stopped to take this photograph (these are all taken using my mobile phone). It is the joyousness of life here. A warm evening, the sun still shining. A music centre on a park bench and a group of local people enjoying the traditional Bulgarian dance. Anyone can join in. No park police or people complaining, life is to be enjoyed. Let the people dance, let the children play!

Sunday the 28th of August saw me sitting at the bus stand at the bottom of my street, lunch in town I thought. A bus arrives but it is the 88 not the 14 I am waiting for. Why not, I climb aboard. As I have described in a previous post the number 88 goes across the Asparuhov bridge to the other side of the harbour.  After lunch at a very nice cafe near the terminus I wandered down towards the harbour entrance. Having no particular destination in mind I discovered that the tall chimney which I had commented on actually belongs to a local brewery, there's a turn up for the books and a trip at some point. I turned left instead of the usual right and walked along in the direction of the bridge. As I walked a huge grain carrier past by heading in the direction of Varna lake. The new silk road docks here.

Friday the 2nd of September emerging from the Festival and Congress Centre at the pedestrianised end of bulevard "Slivnitsa" between screenings as part of the Film Festival (another post to complete). I was heading in the direction of 'Happy' where I was to discover that they now do a genuine Aberdeen Angus beefburger and fries for 11.5 Leva. Beef is hard to come by here in Bulgaria. The staples are chicken, pork, fish and salads.  My footfall was distracted by a puppeteer engaging with young and old alike. Set to music We see him here with a troupe Bulgarian dancers in traditional garb. Shortly thereafter Elvis Presley got up close and personal with the crowd. Pinocchio and other characters engaged the audience too. The price of admission, whatever you want to throw into his hat.

Walking down to the seafront on another occasion I was entertained by one of the many clubs in the area who meet to practice and perform the traditional dances and music of the Bulgarian culture. They exuded boundless energy as they danced at the top of the bulevard then proceeded to dance all the way down to the entrance to the park. No matter which restaurant or cafe/bar all received a lively show whilst basking in the sunshine of a September evening. A stroll anywhere here is an adventure.

As I mentioned earlier Varna has a Film Festival every year.  There are two auditoriums in the Festival and Cultural Centre. Hall 1 where the concerts are held has a huge screen which magically appears in front of the gigantic organ, backdrop to the stage. The man behind the magic is Valentin Petranov, Chief Engineer whom I now count as one of my friends here in Varna.  The screen was used on the 6th of September to show 'Madam Butterfly' from the Metropolitan Opera, New York. During the intervals various interviews were broadcast and I learnt all about the art of Japanese puppetry. Do you know that it takes three people to operate one puppet? Well it does. One controls the head and right arm, one the left arm and torso and one the feet. The aim to give a lifelike performance not a puppet on a string.

Friday saw me having lunch and relaxing by the sea. Varna has miles of golden sand, miles of newly refurbished restaurants and bars catering to all ages at most times of the day and night. I have just spent a relaxing summer letting it all come to me as opposed to chasing all over the country. I will catch up with my blogs at some point probably when I am too feeble to do anything else. Until then the adventure continues with a trip to the mountains later in the month. A narrow gauge railway will feature too.

Just when you think it's all over. After the aforesaid day at the beach I was sitting at the bus stop waiting for the 20 to take me homeward bound. Across the road one of the run down detached houses which I commented on after my arrival here is being refurbished. Surrounded by a metal panel fence, the norm here to protect and deter, I could not see much of what was happening. Probably a conversion to apartments no doubt. I did notice that the former external grandeur is being preserved. Mouldings on lintels and walls carefully restored. I wonder who or what "HB" (NV in our alphabet) stood for. As I said at the beginning it's all in the little things. Till next time...

(I have adopted a new approach with captions on the photographs so if anyone wants an unblemished copy an email request through my profile should do it. Good idea or not let me know.)

Comments

  1. Adventures indeed, life is for living and an adventure around every corner - Enid Blyton would have been proud. We have just returned from an evening at the beach in the last glow of the setting sun with warm waves lapping at the shore at the Witterings - lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ruse (Pyce) Winter and Summer...

a "Day at the Forum"

Weihnachtsmarkt to Antique Market...