Activities on a cold weekend in January

Although the snow had cleared it is still bitterly cold here in Varna I say had because, as I write this it is snowing again.  Just because it is more difficult to travel in the winter, partly due to me getting older and not so keen to suffer for my art, doesn't mean that I hibernate in front of the English language programs on the TV.  Already getting dark Friday evening found me walking down the street, cold but a crispness in the air. The number 14 bus would drop me outside the Tourist Information Office a short walk to the theatre cafe.  Hot coffee and a slice of gateaux before another short walk to the Opera House.



This evening's performance was to start at 18:00 hours, too early for dinner beforehand. This production of  Rossini's 'Il Barbiere Di Siviglia', the Barber of Seville premièred in here 2012.  One of the many operas performed here it met the usual high standard I have come to expect here.  A very appreciative audience, both young and old, gave a standing ovation at the end of the performance.  I emerged from the theatre with the idea of dinner in my mind. Perhaps this is why the productions start earlier in the winter, it was now even colder with very few people in sight. The Christmas lights twinkled but all of the shops restaurants and bars in the area were in darkness lending an unusual stillness to the plaza. It would seem that Varna folk do not venture far from home at this time of year.

15:00 hours on Saturday afternoon, the outside temperature still below zero, found me in an ante-room of the balcony floor in the Opera House for the 'New Year Spark'. This was a rare treat in a cosy atmosphere under a beautiful ceiling, a twinkling Christmas tree, an armchair, a side table with a candle and glass of wine set the scene.  Entertained by some dozen opera singers the limited audience was entertained to Italian and German opera favourites, Cabaret led to songs by Gershwin,  Andrew Lloyd Webber and others all in English,  Fiddler on the Roof sung in Bulgarian was a treat in itself. The performers, changing dress to suit the mood supported each other with waltzes and tangos all accompanied by an electric piano and not a microphone in sight.  (The photographs were taken using my mobile phone therefore the quality is not so good).

Sunday morning at 11:00 hours saw me, well it didn't actually, I didn't get there until about 1 pm, at Varna Mall down on sub level 2. I had never ventured here before, believing that it was the car park, it turned out to house a food hall which on this particular day was hosting the 'Ethic Bazaar'. Traditional foods, music and dress from Bulgaria, Romania and Turkey highlight how complicated this area is due historical influences. Chinese and Indian influences now also enhance the cultural experience, though I missed their music and dance by the time I got there. I'll know better next time!

Brunch consisted of nibbles from various food stands but the moussaka was to die for.  I visited the coffee stall and after some assistance with translation I bought some Kenyan coffee beans which were then ground for me to take home.  I say 'bought' I had asked for a small quantity so that I could try, after preparing and bagging for me no charge!  I have had four mugs so far and there is plenty left. I purchased some bread made from corn and some award winning honey, the ingredients for a hearty breakfast on Monday morning!




I hope that you will take the time to have a look through the photographs in the 'Album 10' page on the main menu or list to the right. Link to the album





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruse (Pyce) Winter and Summer...

a "Day at the Forum"

2019 - Where are we now?