A night at the 'Opera House' ...

Earlier in my stay here in Varna I attended an Opera/Ballet at the open air theatre in the park.  A production of the ballet 'Giselle' performed by the Russian Ballet gave me a chance to see inside the 'Opera House' as it is referred to by the locals or the 'Drama Theatre' as it is shown on the map.  We have walked past this building on a previous tour of the town centre but it takes on an aura as night falls and the lights come on. The whole area has been improved and pedestrianised, the new fountain has been completed and makes the area even more attractive.
It is very affordable to attend theatres and other productions here a ticket in a prime position is only 20 Levi (£7.50).

We join the gentle throng at the steps of the building....



Entering the building it was explained to me that the building was refurbished a few years ago and there is indeed another theatre further up the road which is much in need of tender loving care.
The doors off the foyer are labelled 'Left' and 'Right' with a main door in the centre.  Odd number ticket holders enter to the left, even to the right.

 Passing through the centre door where out tickets were inspected a portrait of the first 'Director' is displayed along with two ornate chairs.  I did wonder if I could sit on one or if they were just for show.  On leaving some bold person was sitting, regally surveying the exiting crowd.


Moving on to the left we pass a mural, very much a contemporary piece. I am taking Iva with me to this production.  We were introduced by a mutual friend and she has assisted me through the visa application process so a little "thank you" is in order.The coat check is through the portal and then we move around to enter the auditorium itself.

As we are about to enter I am offered a programme for only 2 Levi. Although I could not read it I have a souvenir. During the long winter nights I shall attempt to translate the document and update this post accordingly, or not.  Suffice to say it included the principal dancers a synopsis of the plot and details of the production director. Type 'Giselle' into wikipedia for the plot and history of this popular ballet.

This is a cosy theatre, there is no bar or restaurant as is popular in UK theatres. Indeed we had already eaten at one of the cafe-bars in the plaza outside.  The building is bright and airy whilst retaining ornate mouldings around the stage and balconies.  On entering odd rows only have odd numbered seats and even, even.  As we enter by different doors there is no congestion on exit.


I took the photo of the auditorium from front right then realised that I was looking sown into the orchestra pit. This gave a good view of the full orchestra and the boxes opposite where, once upon a time, a tzar might have sat. I returned to my seat and managed to take a photo of the ornate ceiling rose before the warning that mobile phones were not allowed, video recording is not allowed, photography is not allowed!

The orchestra struck up, the audience settled into hushed anticipation as the overture played.  The acoustics are excellent.

A round of applause greeted the curtain rise and I was promptly engaged in the performance.  A backdrop resembling the 'chitty chitty bang bang castle (Schloss Neuschwanstein) with the semblance of the village cottages to the front.  The dance fulfils all of the expectations of a ballet with a host of intricate steps, pirouettes and leaps.
The costumes are colourful in the first act and I could easily tell the story without having any pre-conceived idea or a word being spoken.  In contrast the second act is eerily dark and misty as the graveyard is portrayed by projecting black crosses onto the lower backdrop. The dancers are now all in white and the male performers in black.  An excellent performance by the whole troupe, 'Giselle' is particularly talented for this energetic part. I snuck a photo of the curtain call.

Leaving the theatre darkness has descended.  This only enhances the experience as the new fountain is displayed in all its glory. Spouts rise and fall with varying twists and colours, At certain times of the day this is accompanied by music too.  Nearly everyone exiting the theatre stood to watch the display rounding off the evening to great satisfaction.





Turning up the path towards the the main road the cathedral appeared through the arch of the trees.  This is a marvellous sight as the lights display the building in all its glory. I had been using my mobile phone to take these photographs therefore the quality is not up to its usual standard but you get the picture lol. Having them on my phone I could not resist uploading this particular shot straight away!


All of the photos taken tonight have been included in this post and are also included in
 View my 'Varna 2" photo album .  If you wish to be reminded of the area in daylight have a look at  View my 'Varna tour' photo album .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruse (Pyce) Winter and Summer...

a "Day at the Forum"

2019 - Where are we now?