Coincidences...

I set off today with my camera with the intention of visiting a particular museum located in the grounds of the 'Sea Park' as I have discovered that the park is commonly called. I thought that I would catch the Number 82 down into the town as it ran down to the railway station and, if I got off at the top of the hill I could make my way to the park by a shorter route.  I find that the advantage of travelling by bus allows the discovery of fascinating things along the way such as this take on the 'concrete jungle' located as it is on the corner of a street in an area composed of high rise concrete apartment blocks along side modern shops and apartments too.



Two weeks ago I had been reading about the new age 'abseiler', rather than pursuing a hobby they are now employed to clean and repair the tallest buildings in the UK such is the architectural complexity of these buildings. Lo and behold I am walking down the street when I observe that scaffolding is not required here in Bulgaria even on low-rise buildings. A man on a rope is the norm!  A trusty colleague at the top or bottom controlling the ropes ad supplies leaves the craftsman to hang around all day. The first of my coincidences.  I have, in fact, seen this in operation at a distance last week when they were performing a similar task on one of the old 'communist' style blocks, cladding the outside then painting seems to be the remedy here for improving insulation.

Walking further I discovered that my short cut did not work as I ended up on the main road running along from the railway station past the park which I have ventured along before ending up at the pool. I crossed the road to walk along towards the park when I noticed the sign for the smaller of the two 'Roman' baths in the the city so I thought "Why not". I was about to recross the main road to gain access when the Number 20 bus stopped to allow me to cross. The second of my coincidences as I now know that the number 20 from near my apartment runs in a circular route and will take me either to the centre, the railway station or the far end of the park.

Entry to the 'Thermae of Odessos" is a mere 2 Lev, about 75 pence at the moment.  There is a brief history and plan in both Bulgarian and English as you enter and information boards in each area of the baths. It is an interesting thought that legions posted here in this benign climate must have been quite pleased that they were not using the baths at Hexam or Corbridge near the Roman Wall in England, a much more robust climate to endure. I wandered around the lower site examining the various rooms and functions of the bath house before returning to the entrance for a bottle of water as it had become rather hot during the afternoon.

I sat and ordered a salad and was asked if I would like 'raiki', a schnapps like drink which traditionally accompanies the salad. I thought that I would give it a go.  Whilst waiting to be served a plate of salad, a pan of stew and some bread was placed in front of men sitting at another table. I asked if I could have stew too but was informed that this was the staff meal.  When I sat down 'Stan' had engage me in conversation asking the usual, "Where are you from?" "The north of England." I replied. He then asked me if I knew Norfolk then Peterborough. It transpired that he had worked in Wisbech for some years an place I also know well having worked near Peterborough for a while myself. Another coincidence. A plate containing a sample of the stew appeared before me with two slices of the local bread with their complements. I was sharing their meal.

Satisfied, I walked back down to the site and up the steps to the higher level where the remains of a 'sanctuary', this could be hospital and an 'Atrium house' of the period are preserved.  This also afforded a different perspective of the bath house too.  Whilst exploring this area I also discovered a steam engine just outside the site, possibly an exhibit of the 'History of Varna Museum' next door now I come to think of it. I was I returned by way of the stone staircase and the ramp to the road and caught the No 20 home.

There is another Roman bath house in the city which I will compare at a future date.

View my 'Varna 2' photo album  - this contains all the photos mentioned in this post.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruse (Pyce) Winter and Summer...

a "Day at the Forum"

2019 - Where are we now?