Christmas lights and family fun

Winter approaches, the nights are drawing in. Although it is bright during the day the temperature drops sharply around 4 pm as the sun goes down, I now have my padded winter coat, my fur hat ant my thermal gloves.  All set to wander down to the square to see the lights switched on on the Christmas tree.  The lack of leaves reveals more monuments relating to Varna's past but more of this another day. Arriving in ploshtad "Nezavismost" (where the big fountain is located) I wondered if I had missed a 'Christmas market'.



As darkness falls the Christmas lights on the buildings and streets twinkle creating a very festive spirit and brightening up the soul. Christmas carols and other songs played in the background. I felt completely at home as they were all in English. A stage had been set up in front of the Opera house with a large screen beside. No-one will miss the show.  I wandered around the square as more and more families arrived to join the happy throng.  I knew not what to expect other than the Christmas tree lights being switched on.

The log cabins reveal their wares. From sausages to donuts all tastes and ages catered for. The speciality of the evening, Bulgarian 'mulled' wine.  No-one need go cold or hungry here. I had a sausage in a bun, not as we know a bun, sort of crispy, and a glass of mulled wine all for the princely sum of 3.5 Lev. I keep referring to prices as they surprise me but I gather that the average monthly income is about 500 Lev so all is relative.  But families are here as families to enjoy the event. They are richer than us in some ways.

I hear an address from a man in a top hat, the 'Mad Hatter' perhaps? The concert starts on the stage.  This reminds me of our old Sunday school concerts where we children would entertain parents and the old of the parish. Innocence lost in our consumer society.  The concert continues with different groups singing and dancing. Some traditional Bulgarian, some modern pop but all festive and thoroughly good family entertainment. Families and friends wander around enjoying the food and the entertainment.  Suddenly it is time!

To a grand explosion of fireworks the Christmas tree lights come on. Now I knew why the fountain was switched off. It was difficult to take photos of the fireworks as there was no breeze so the smoke built up.  Besides a sausage in one hand and a glass of wine in the other!  The display lasted about 15 minutes. No boring speeches, job done, on with the concert.  I also discovered that there are, in fact, two Christmas trees, one in front and one behind the Courthouse, the other visible from the main road.

Of course no event would be complete without the guest of honour....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruse (Pyce) Winter and Summer...

a "Day at the Forum"

2019 - Where are we now?