Night light...

The old Submarine HQ
Leaving the river behind darkness descended as I walked back to the bus stop in Asparuhov.  I had observed a No.88 bus arriving as I was exploring and intended to catch this home as I knew that it went past the bottom of my street. Turns out it goes as far as the airport.  In fact a No.2 arrived so I hopped on that to see where it would drop me.  Over the bridge and back into central Varna the run terminates outside the Tourist Information Office.  Quite handy but looking around it started me off on another project I have had in the back of my mind.  I  had kept putting this off as I cannot find a camera stand.



Central Varna had taken on a new vista as I stepped off the bus. The first thing I noticed was how imposing the old Navy Submarine HQ building looked.  During daylight hours this, now disused, building is rather run down but at night it steps out in a new set of clothes.  I walked back a few paces to the corner of ul. "Bacho Kiro" and bul. "8-mi Primorski Polk" (Route 9) to take the shot. Looking to my right the boulevard stretches into the distance covering the area in fairytale light.

"Cathederal Sveto Uspernie Bogorodichno (Dormition of Theotokos ) stands regal splendour.  I have previously taken similar daylight views in the area which are included in the Varna posts and photo albums should you wish to compare.  I have have always been struck at how magical a city such as this feels at night. The atmosphere completely changes. My only problem is holding the camera steady whilst avoiding the traffic!


Even the taxis waiting in the rank in front of the Cathedral gleam in the reflected light, hiding the dents and grime of a working day. I dare say that, in days gone by, horse drawn carriages would have lent a more picturesque view but who knows, in the future there may be a nostalgia for the auto-mobile. I managed to catch this shot as the traffic lights were changing at the main junctions.


The 'large' Theatre as I have called it looks much more resplendent at night. After the fall of the communist state there is a dispute as to whether or not the building belongs to the nation or to Varna.  Of course this dictates as to whom will pay for the repairs to this once magnificent building.  Till then it's evening dress gives an impression of former theatre going occasion.  This is not to say that the theatre is not well used. If I could only understand the language the performances here as as varied and talented as any in London.

Looking over my shoulder the Clock Tower, now incorporated into the Drama Theatre "Stoyan Bachvarov" becomes much more independent at night. In fact with the hustle and bustle of life around the area of the Tourist Information Office, the open air market and general day to day business it is easy to miss especially during the summer when the trees are in full leaf.  Older views of the city reveal that it was much more prominent on the landscape before the combustion engine became king.  I walked around the corner into the pedestrianised area of  ul. "Preslav" which leads on down to the fountain and Opera Theatre.  Incidentally I have now confirmed that the Drama Theatre is incorrectly located on Google Maps, it is above not below the Opera House. The building is visible but not marked as such.


The opposite corner of the Drama Theatre shown here reveals the main entrance and once of my favourite cafes when strolling around town. Again it looks so much more inviting as darkness has descended outside.  During the hot long summer days one has the experience of the Mediterranean holiday seven days a week but now as the nights draw in and tourism ebbs there is a cosy feel to cafés and bars. An altogether different and pleasurable experience.


As the fountain was at a low ebb and unlit at the time my last shot before turning away was of the the Judiciary building housing the Law Courts. Subtle lighting takes a nondescript office block of concrete construction into a softer more welcoming realm, though I doubt those before the 'Beak' appreciate the difference.  I decided to head back in the direction of the Cathedral to catch the No.82 bus back to my street.



Before negotiating the underpass I took the a further two shots of the Cathedral and one of the Clock Tower from a different perspective.  Emerging from the underpass I was now at the corner of the 'large' Theatre on bul. "Vladislav Vamenchik" across the street from the Cathedral.  As I walked up the street I took some different perspectives of the Cathedral and the, still bustling, flower market beyond. What a difference a light makes, an advantage our ancestors did not have.







I intend to create a 'Night Light' album as I add more views to the collection.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruse (Pyce) Winter and Summer...

a "Day at the Forum"

2019 - Where are we now?