1st Class to Plovdiv..

I had spent the previous days researching bus and train journeys between Varna and Plovdiv, ultimately deciding upon a rail ticket mainly because it happened to be raining and I could do this on the BDZ website. It was to cost 37.20 Lev or £14.47 return. My train was due to depart at 16:00 hours as this is currently the only one which can be booked on-line however it has the advantage of being a direct route. A local internet cafe printed off two copies of the ticket. I have always done this as a precaution in case I loose one. On the appointed day I caught the Number 20 bus from the top of the street which dropped me opposite the station.  Conveniently I could grab something to eat at a cafe there as no refreshments are available on the trains.



Crossing the road I entered the station through the imposing front entrance and there waiting at platform two was my train. I had decided to travel '1st class' as the price difference was so small. The coach was situated to the front of the train separated from the engine by a '2nd class' carriage.  I had booked window seat number 66 on-line and it was easy to find as each compartment has the seat numbers on the door as well as above the seat. I arranged myself comfortably, camera and ticket to hand.  Before boarding the train had  I purchased a bottle of water and a packet of crisps as this was scheduled to be a 5.5 hour journey. I also carried a small pack of toilet role on the advice of the locals. There appeared to be many passengers but I had the compartment to myself.  At 16:00 hours precisely we departed. The Germans would have been proud.

As we moved along into the suburbs of Varna I had my first view of 'Lake Varna' to my left. The lake is accessible through two narrow channels linking it to the harbour and the Black Sea.  A road bridge across these channels links the other headland.  I was to discover that, as well as the beautiful views, there is much activity along the shore line from small boats propelled by oar fishing for dinner to large container vessels disgorging their cargo at various docks along the way.  All linked by road and rail to the interior and beyond.

Another express train passed us on another track, also heading west possibly to Sophia. We would also stop at local commuter stations where small shuttles carry workers and shoppers back and forth between smaller towns and the metropolis. As our journey proceeded the ticket inspector came along and examined my ticket, scratched her head and departed with it.  Some time later she returned and wrote out a ticket in her book which she gave to me pointing out, in Bulgarian,  that I had also reserved seat number 66 for the return journey. She did not return my printed ticket. This would be significant on the return journey.

We moved away from the industrialised area of the lakes and into the countryside passing small towns and villages. We stopped at small stations, I had the impression at some that the station master stopped the train if there were passengers wishing to board. At other times we stopped in the middle of nowhere to allow a train to pass in the opposite direction as stretches of the route are single track. I was able to take more photos on the return journey which show the route and the make up of the railway in more detail.

We had rain for a couple of days before I departed on this journey and the sky was very overcast as we travelled.  The lateness of departure meant that slowly but surely the light was failing.  Hence the predominance of photos of the return journey from Plovdiv which I shall add in due course. The few that I have added here give a flavour of the changing countryside as we travelled inland.  The trees and hedgerows, whilst obstructing the view as we raced along were beautiful in their own right as the autumnal shades and ripe berries vividly displayed amongst the green.

As night drew in it was impossible to see much from my carriage but late night commuter trains created a very atmospheric image as we approached stations in the darkness. I couldn't make up my mind which of the two shots I preferred therefore I have included them both in the album.  I believe that the journey was a fitting start to my first incursion into the interior even if it was not by bus and Plovdiv was to prove a very interesting destination.


View the outward journey here in my'Varna Plovdiv ByTrain' photo album

It was nearly 23:00 hours by the time that I had emerged from Plovdiv Railway Station largely by following the other passengers along the platform down the steps and through the main tunnel linking the various platforms. I grabbed a taxi waiting at the top of the exit stairs and proceeded to the Plovdiv Guest House along a confusing route. I was to find out why in daylight. The fare was some 3.5 Lev. Checking in I parted with 50 Lev per night, cash only. This includes a continental breakfast served between 08:00 and 10:00 hours. I mounted the stairs to my third floor room, there is no lift, and retired to bed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruse (Pyce) Winter and Summer...

a "Day at the Forum"

2019 - Where are we now?