Returning to Varna

09:30 hours on Friday morning. As I entered my taxi snowflakes gently fell, my first of the winter. Haw frost or snow it was difficult to tell as the taxi sped towards Sofia railway station but the city had taken on a magical property. I thought to myself that it was a shame that I was leaving it was not to last.  Arriving at the station in plenty of time for my 10:30 departure to Varna, time enough to take some photographs and have breakfast. The Christmas tree in the foyer a touch of colour in this colossal construction.



I am not sure if the old station still exists at another location, this is a completely new development on the outskirts of Sofia.  I was later to discover that the location has allowed proximity to two new bus stations, local and national/international. A sensible idea lacking in the UK.  I had breakfast in the ground floor cafe, strangely I had to go to the next franchise for a hot coffee, perhaps a cunning way to persuade travellers to purchase newspapers and other miscellanea. I went down the steps to the lower level of ticket offices, newsagents, food outlets and other essentials. The platforms are accessed from this lower level currently by steps but lifts will operate to each platform in the near future.  Arrivals, departures and platforms are clearly displayed.

Platform 7 and I boarded my train.  Travelling first class is only 4-5 Leva extra so gives a nice treat. The light snow and frost clung to the rolling stock and track side shrubbery adding to the romance of the journey.  My kindle to read, a bottle of water and some snacks for the journey arranged on the table before me. My case on the rack above, my coat hung on the strategically placed hook by the window as the heating is very good, we departed on time.  In fact I rarely read, the views and conversations taking up most of my time. Although I have only a few words of the language I find that people are interested in trying to communicate and it is also surprising how many nationalities one meets.

The views from the window as we pass through the Central Bulgarian Mountain range are spectacular.  The train heads north from Sofia across bridges, through tunnels and curving around mountain sides.  Rivers, villages and woodland speed by.  A glorious place to go hiking. A modern bridge across the valley over a fast flowing river charts the course of the newly constructed main road heading both east and west forming a backbone across Bulgaria.  Small holdings with bright beehives supplying income to families who cling on to the country way of life, so many have moved to the cities.

Eventually we move onto the plain running along behind the mountain range. The landscape changing to reflect large scale arable farming. Cabbages, corn, cucumbers, all sorts of crops are produced here. At one time tobacco was also grown. Old farmsteads give way to the gleaming structures of modern farming methods. This is why I prefer not to drive. I can observe the surroundings in detail and it all makes the journey worthwhile.


Daylight during the winter rapidly fades and we will arrive in Varna in darkness but this adds to the pleasure of the trip as I observe the dramatic sunset as we race along.  Have a look at the photographs, this is Bulgaria you will not see in the travel guides.

View my 'Return to Varna' photo album
Play as a slideshow

The journey aboard train No.2611 on Friday 18th December 2016:

Sofia  dep. 10:30 > Sofia-Server 10:35 - 10:36 > Svoge 11:06 - 11:07 > Zverino 11:42 - 11:42 > Mezdra 11:58 > 11:59 > Roman 12:12 - 12:13 > Cherven Brjag 12:33 - 12:34 > Dolni Dabnik 13:00 13:16 ... moving out of the mountains ... Pleven 13:14 - 13:16 > Levski 13:45 - 13:47 > Pavlikeni 14:01 - 14:02 > Gorna Orjahovica 14:27 - 14:37 > Strazhica 14:48 - 14:59 > Popovo 15:25 > 15:26 > Targovishte 15:55 - 15:56 > Shumen 16:27 - 16:28 > Madara 16:40 - 16:40 > Kaspichan 16:47 - 16:48 > Provadija 17:08 - 17:09  > ... it is along this track where the route to/from Plovdiv joins ...  Poveljanovo 17:38 - 17:39 > Beloslav 17:44 - 17:45 > Varna arr. 18:03.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruse (Pyce) Winter and Summer...

a "Day at the Forum"

2019 - Where are we now?