Go west young man...

It is 07:25 hrs as my train pulls out of Varna station.  The carriage is more typical of ours in the UK this time, a single row of seats, aisle and two seats together. More spacious than ours with arm rests and plenty of storage space, though I have never travelled 1st class in the UK. This time we are heading west almost across the length of Bulgaria to the capital Sofia. At first the scenery looks similar to my previous journeys but changes as we split from the route south and head along the line of the Central Bulgarian Mountain Range.



The land is very fertile, the agricultural landscape similar to that of the UK. Large areas of arable land under the plough or sprouting the winter crop. Woodlands and rivers and the occasional vehicle on the highway. The only overcrowded roads appear to be in the big cities. I see lone farms and small villages in the distance. Not much in the way of livestock on this trip but, perhaps, the animals are kept indoors during the winter. We travel on as the sun rises. The heating in the carriage is very good.  The conductor checks my on-line ticket and returns with a printed one from her machine.


Again on this trip I have pinpointed the location of the main stations along the route so that you can follow the direction of the journey. A long break at Gorna Oryahovista allowed those in the know to leap off the train in search of refreshment or just to stretch their legs and have a cigarette.  If I had known I could have bought lunch to eat on the train. There will be more photos to add taken on the return journey, these are of different places and views as I was then on the opposite side of the track.


As the journey progressed I came to understand how such places as Plovdiv and others were such important sites. The Central Mountain Range forms an almost vertical wall stretching off into the distance. The passes through and over the mountains would be very significant for defence and trade.  We crossed wide rivers and I saw several dams which must regulate the spring thaw saving water for the summer.  All was going so smoothly, about 90 minutes to go....


The train stopped at a station, another planned delay as I noticed passengers dismount and cross the tracks, something you get used to here, to the platform and refreshment kiosk. We did not move. More passengers started to dismount and discussions started. Evidently this was not scheduled. Eventually the conductor came along and instructed everyone to leave the train. She brought an English speaking student with her to explain to me that the train had broken down and we all had to get off and wait for another one.


Out of adversity I met and became friends with a lovely young lady who took the time to explain to me what was happening, some places to see in Sofia and, when we eventually boarded a commuter train, a far reaching discussion on the plight of the young in Bulgaria. They are well educated and keen to progress, but where?  Politicians and journalists should take a ride on a train in some of these countries to find out that the majority are not after our benefits but wish to work and progress. Perhaps the EU should have built factories instead of roads.  Somewhat later than expected I arrived at Sofia Central Railway station.  A taxi to my hotel, 10 Euros sir, being tired and having been in the country for some months I didn't catch the 'euros'.  He was already making a profit at 10 leva but I was prepared to let it go.  Arriving at the hotel I estimated that the journey would have cost about 6-7 leva. I won the argument and gave him 10 leva. So pay attention in future.  The reception were expecting me, my key card ready, lift to the 4th floor and my very functional room. I then cottoned on 'Easyjet' of course!


Timetable for Train 2602 (14/12/2015)
Varna   > 07:25
Poveljanovo   07:46 > 07:47
Kaspichan   08:35 > 08:36
Shumen   08:54 > 08:55
Targovishte   09:27 > 09:28
Popovo   09:58 > 09:59
Gorna Orjahovica   10:46 > 10:53
Pavlikeni     11:20 > 11:21
Levsji    11:34 > 11:35
Pleven   12:04 > 12:06
Cherven Brjag   12:45 > 12:46
Mezdra   13:19 > 13:21
Sofia   14:47

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruse (Pyce) Winter and Summer...

a "Day at the Forum"

2019 - Where are we now?