A trip to Septemvri

Varna Summer was ending on the 24th September and my thoughts turned to another trip into the Bulgarian hinterland. Autumn approaching, I decided that I would not make a tentatively planned trip back to Veliko Tarnovo but would venture further afield. I had previously booked my return journeys on line where tickets are issued for the outward and return journeys. This service is not available for all journeys which is why I found myself at the ticket office in Varna Railway Station on the 21st prior to the public holiday. My plan was to depart the following Monday.



Armed with information from the internet and a piece of paper written out in crylic I attempted to purchase my ticket. No! With some assistance I discovered that I had to go out onto the platform, turn left and there is an advance booking office three doors along. Entering this door there are three booths and a double door at the far end. The double door appears to lead back into the main ticket office but "Not allowed". I had determined the substance of my adventure and needed to get to a town called Septemvri. The lady behind the desk, who turned out to speak English, was most amused by my note even asking if she could take a photo of it on her mobile phone. I came away with my Varna - Septemvri return ticket, first class seat booked in carriage A2 seat 46, however the return date was not the one I requested. Buying at the station produces a return ticket which can be used any time in the next month. There is a catch as I was to discover later.

Last concert of the summer season on Saturday, Sunday to launder and pack then catching the 08:00, or there abouts, bus number 82 to the railway station gave me time for breakfast at the local "workers" dinning hall before boarding my train. This route takes me along the previously ridden tracks to Plovdiv then covers new territory as it proceeds to Sophia, the final destination. My previous rail trip having been along the northern side of the Central Mountain Range this route is to the south. I occurs to me whilst writing this that the track must roughly follow the old Eastern Roumelia border mentioned in my post "131 not out". In fact it is slightly to the north and seamed to run from midway between Varna and Burgas.

My train is due to depart at 08:50 hours in fact we leave at 9:00 but what is ten minutes on a seven hour journey. I have taken photographs along this route before so time to relax, admire the view, read and enjoy my packed lunch. There are no buffet cars on BDZ but there is a very well supplied "Tuck shop" next to the bus stand outside Varna station.  I have mentioned Septemvri however I want to get off the train at the next stop along at a place called Belevo. I had been back to the ticket office but could not change my return ticket however the conductor seemed amenable; after all it is the same price for the journey. Remember that catch I mentioned earlier, well watch this space.

Why the change to Belovo after all of my careful planning? Trying to book two separate dates for accommodation at the same place proved confusing for Booking.com as it kept thinking that I was trying to change the first booking, Eventually I 'phoned the guest house. During the conversation it transpired that "Cob Camp" was not, in fact, 6 km from Septemvrie but about 25 km by road. Distances on Booking.com appear to be 'as the crow flies'. Cobb Camp (Ulitsa (street) 19, house number 25) is located in the town of Dubravite, or rather, on the edge of it some 5-6 km from Belovo station. Logic dictated that this was the station for me.

During the journey I noticed that freight seems to be picking up on the railways here, a good sign. Not only of increasing prosperity, I hope, but of reclaiming roads from the ever increasing amount and size of road haulage vehicles. I hope that this trend will continue throughout the world. Better for the planet, less congestion on the roads and more fun for me. The autumn sun reflected the changing patterns of the leaves, crops being harvested in the fields, all's well with the world - especially as this post, at the time of writing, was interrupted by an email and subsequent 'phone call to England. I cannot take credit for the following but am delighted by the news: A very dear friend of mine in Gloucester has given birth to a beautiful baby boy. Congratulations and Best Wishes to H&C.

Why not Veliko Tarnovo? Why Septemvrie? Why Cob Camp? 'Till next time...

(I have adopted a new approach with captions on the photographs so if anyone wants an unblemished copy an email request through my profile should do it. Good idea or not let me know.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruse (Pyce) Winter and Summer...

2019 - Where are we now?

131 not out...