The cafe on the corner...

Approaching the bar from the hotel
At the end of my last post I took time out to have lunch at the cafe on the corner (or is it a bar or restaurant???), this was to be a frequent haunt of mine during my stay here in Veliko Tarnovo. Both the menu and the surroundings never cease to amaze and intrigue.  I was to discover that merely changing ones seat opened up a whole new treasure trove of wonders.  Despite the eclectic taste of the proprietor the place does not take on the being of a junk shop or jumble sale.





My first view of the bar / restaurant  as I climbed the few steps to find a suitable table. Although the area shown gives the impression of being a part of a solid structure it is, in fact, cleverly constructed from canopies and platforms. The wooden steps which I mounted are a public footpath between the building and this outer area. The wooden steps have been placed to give access to the two terraces constructed in the apex of the junction between uls. "Ivan Vazov" the main road running out of the main municipal area and "Chitalishtna" which also circles down to the 'old city'.

Later one evening I was to sit inside the main bar area in the building itself.  Should one find oneself with a lull in conversation, no need to pull out a smartphone and check friends on social media just look around and conversation will soon flow once more. Did I mention that the food, drink and staff are excellent too? Well they are.



 Whist eating my lunch and admiring my surroundings, I examined the A5 map I had received from the hotel which showed roads and buildings but no names, Google Maps which shows roads and buildings but only labels hotels and other fee paying locations and notes made from my guide book. I could not work out exactly where I was in relation to anything important much like those sailors of yore sailing off the edge of a flat earth. Priority, find the Tourist Information Office!

Hmm, I bet he knows what's what and where to go but he's keeping schtum.  I am experimenting with different ways of posting on my blog as I can no longer add comments to the photographs in the albums which, of course, told the whole story.  I thought that I would tell a little at a time instead.  We shall see. Let me know if you get bored lol.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruse (Pyce) Winter and Summer...

a "Day at the Forum"

Weihnachtsmarkt to Antique Market...