Culture and Calendars

Culture and Literacy Day.  It is a public holiday here in Bulgaria. Looking into the background I found that the day, celebrated on 24 May, its full title is "Bulgarian Education and Culture, and Slavonic Literature Day" , a national holiday celebrating Bulgarian culture and literature as well as the alphabet. It is also known as "Alphabet, Culture, and Education Day". Saints Cyril and Methodius are patrons of the National Library of Bulgaria located in the capital, Sophia. Now I know the story behind one of the photos I took in Sophia.







The Icon Museum, Plovdiv
Confusing Calendars.  Saints Cyril and Methodius are known as the "Apostles of the Slavs", and are still highly regarded by both Roman Catholic and Orthodox Christians. According to old Bulgarian chronicles, the day of the holy brothers was celebrated ecclesiastically as early as the 11th century. Their feast day is currently celebrated on 14 February in the Roman Catholic Church (to coincide with the date of St Cyril's death); on 11 May in the Eastern Orthodox Church (though for Eastern Orthodox Churches which use the Julian Calendar this is 24 May according to the Gregorian Calendar); and on 7 July according to the old sectoral calendar that existed before the revisions of the Second Vatican Council. The celebration also commemorates the introduction of literacy, the Cyrillic script and the preaching of the gospels in the Slavonic language by the brothers. The brothers were declared "Patrons of Europe" in 1980. Saints Cyril and Methodius are the most celebrated saints in the Bulgarian Orthodox church and their icons are sure to be found found everywhere.

Our busy local florist
Flowers and Finery. Thinking about my blog I thought that I would use this opportunity to create an album on my visit to the 'Icon Museum' in Plovdiv but, as I wandered down to the local bar for coffee this morning I was reminded of Sunday School anniversaries. Children and young people dressed in their finest and bouquets of flowers abound. The lounge room in the bar was set out with plates of canapés and drinks. I wondered if there were any activities taking place but a search of the internet revealed nothing.  A local friend of mine was off out for a cycle ride in the Sea Garden but he did not have family with him.  Perhaps it is the thought that counts and everyone was dressed for church.



"Champagne anyone?"
Graduation.   I decided to head up to 'Candles' for an early lunch as I had skipped breakfast. I could see an arch of blue and white balloons as I approached.  About to enter I observed that all of the tables were set and some 'disco' equipment was set up next to the bar. Jordan, the proprietor, provided me with lunch provided I didn't mind sitting outside and also I couple of photos from his mobile phone as he explained what is happening on this day.


Justifiably proud
Friends and family
All over Bulgaria restaurants and bars will be fully booked as the nation's proud parents take the opportunity to celebrate 'Graduation Day' with sons and daughters. Flowers and gifts are given at this very special moment in their life. Students graduate from schools and colleges as they move up the ladder of education or on to the world of work.  Unlike the 'Graduation Ball' or 'Prom' this is very much an occasion for family and friends.  I returned to my local bar and there they were. The look on their faces says it all.


my man!
I keep this place running!
They say that, behind every success is a good woman and this would appear to be the case here. A later conversation revealed that this is also known as 'Teachers' Day", obviously they think highly of their education in this country.


Of course some have to work, for some other intellectual challenges compete and for others, just like my late father, it's just another day!



just another pawn 

it's all down to carbs!

I haven't created an album for this post. Plovdiv, it's churches, Icons and other remaining delights will have to wait for another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruse (Pyce) Winter and Summer...

a "Day at the Forum"

Weihnachtsmarkt to Antique Market...