Talent Competition ...

It's Saturday and I receive an email. Would I like to go along to a talent competition with an American friend of mine? His grand daughter is appearing. I knew that she has performed in several shows with her school and other voluntary organisations so I agreed. I should point out that my friend has lived in Bulgaria for ten years and is married to a local lass. Having consented to share a taxi we met and disappeared off into the suburbs. We alighted and found seats outside Cheers Cocktail Bar.  The stage and sound system were ready. Small world, a number 14 bus went past, this must be near the end of its route.



The show started at 19:00 hours and would last some 2.5-3 hours with each contestant performing in front of a panel of four judges. The age range about 6 to 16 I think. A warm evening, a cool beer, good conversation and a surprisingly varied range of songs. I recognised British hits of the 60's sung in Bulgarian through to one of Adel's hits, among others, sung in English. I was pleasantly surprised at the passion and talent of these young people and it proved to be another enjoyable night out here in Varna.



I didn't take photographs of all of the performers but have tried to present a cross section across the age range and performances.  The ultimte prize for this young talent is to be talent spotted for the national competitions and, hopefully a singing or performing career in the west of Europe. In a land of few job prospects this is a serious way out. Note that there are no flashy costumes or gimmicks, in a land of low incomes raw talent and enthusiasm prevail.

I added a couple of photos of each selected contestant to my album with the exception of this young man. His performance, to my mind, beat all for voice and expression as you can see from the series.  I don't know who won in the end but everyone seemed to enjoy themselves regardless and I was pleased that I went to the show.






My friend's grand daughter (left and right) has a beautiful voice and a very pretty smile, hopefully she will go far in the future.


(I have adopted a new approach with captions on the photographs so if anyone wants an unblemished copy an email request through my profile should do it. Good idea or not let me know.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruse (Pyce) Winter and Summer...

a "Day at the Forum"

Weihnachtsmarkt to Antique Market...